Drink driving remains one of the major causes of serious injury and fatal road accident in Mauritius which greatly increases the risk of road crashes. The greater the amount of alcohol consumed, the more likely a person is to be involved in an accident. When alcohol is consumed, many of the skills that safe driving requires – such as judgment, concentration, comprehension, coordination, visual acuity, and reaction time become impaired.
THE LEGAL PRESCRIBED LIMIT:
– 20 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 ml of blood.
– 27 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 ml of urine.
– 9 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 ml of breath.
THE PENALTIES FOR DRUNKEN DRIVING:
On first conviction –
- Fine not less than Rs 20,000 and not more than Rs 50,000
- Imprisonment not more than 5 years.
- Disqualification of driving licence for a minimum period of 12 months.
On second or Subsequent conviction –
- Fine not less than Rs 50,000 and not more than Rs 75,000.
- Imprisonment not less than 12 months and not more than 8 years.
- Cancellation of driving Licence and disqualification for a minimum period of 24 months.