Port Louis was named by the Dutch as ‘Noordwester haven’. During the French occupation, it was called successively Port –Louis Nord Ouest, Le Camp, Port de la Montagne and later Port Louis. Generally, it is accepted that Port Louis has derived its name from King Louis XV (1715-1771). Port Louis became a town in 1850 and the first Mayor was Louis Lechelle. Later in 1966, Mr. Dorasamy Moorghen became the first Lord Mayor. For effective and efficient policing, the Metropolitan Division was divided into two parts, namely the Port Louis North and the Port Louis South Divisions.
The Division covers and area of some 73.75 Square Km with an important local population of about 187,800 inhabitants together with Banking Institutions, Industrial Zones, Shopping Centres, Commercial Areas, Educational Institutions, Ministries, Amusement and Entertainment Centres.
Abercrombie is found at St Croix. In 1860, the Police Station was known as Briquetterie Police Station. Later, it was changed to Abercrombie in memory of Late Major General John Abercrombie (1772-1817) who was the commander of British Military Forces who conquered Mauritius in 1810.
Structure of Port-Louis Division
The Port Louis North Division with its Headquarters at Nicolay Street, is one of the seven Police Divisions; it is headed by a Divisional Commander holding the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP). He is working under the Supervision of a Deputy Commissioner of Police and is responsible to plan, Co-ordinate and Police his division in accordance with the entire force strategic planning but without underlying the priorities pertaining to his own area.
The Divisional Commander is supported in his task by Superintendents who in turned have under their orders a number of Assistant Superintendents who supervise the conduct of enquiries and the proper running of police stations placed under their command.
Police stations are run by Chief Inspectors or Inspectors depending of the category whether A, B or C depending on the size of the community it is serving.
The Port Louis North Area Headquarters houses the following offices:
- The Alpha Squad-
- The Family Protection Unit-
- The Criminal Investigation Division-
- The Traffic Unit North-
- The Port Louis North Police Prosecution Unit-
Some historical places and buildings are:-
China Town – China Town is a hive of activity with boutiques selling Chinese silks and porcelain, ornamental knick-knacks such as dragons and Buddha statutes, food and medicinal herbs
Jummah Mosque – One of the island’s most outstanding mosques, which was built in the middle of the 19th century.
Immigration Square – The Immigration Square is now the standing point of buses, which serve the island. It derived its name, according to common belief that carts were waiting for Indian Immigrants who had just disembarked from ships to take them to different sugar estates of the island.
Camp Yoloff – situated not far from Trou Fanfaron, has got its name from the Wolof’s craftman and slaves from Senegal who were confined to that area and who were employed for chore works. Camp Yoloff was the first place of the capital to resound to the tune of the sega.
Fort Adelaide or Citadelle – Overlooking the city of Port Louis, the Citadelle or Fort Adelaide is now a disused fortress constructed on a hill between 1834 and 1840, under the rule of British Governor William Nicolay. It is often used as an open concert by local and foreign artists.
The Shrine of Pere Laval – Father Jacques Desire Laval, a catholic priest who was much concerned with the plight of the black slaves in Mauritius. Thousands of pilgrims from all over the island gather there each 9th of September on the anniversary date of his death in the year 1864 to pay tribute to him. He was beatified on 19 May 1979 by Pope John Paul II.
The division also has the following:
Area Health Centres – 06
Clinics – 02
Stadium and sport complexes – 08
Commercial Banks – 09
Primary/Secondary Schools – 28
Churches – 08
Temples – 16
Mosques – 22
Filling Stations – 08
The following Police Stations/Posts are located in the Divison:
Abercrombie- is an “A” class station covering an area of approximately 22 Sq Kms extending from Bazire Bridge along Pamplemousses Rd to Vallee Des Pretres Junction and Nicolay Road near BAT with an estimated population of about 30,000 inhabitants.
Fanfaron- is an “A” class station policing an area of about 5.5 Sq Kms extending from Nicolay Road, to the New Trunk Road, Corderie Street and Corner La Paix street from Sir Seewoosagar Ramgoolam St to Quay D Round About, with an estimated population of 20,000 inhabitants.
Plaine Verte- is an “A” class station with a population of about 50,000 inhabitants. It extends over an area of 2.5 Sq Kms from Vallee Des Pretres Junction to, Gorah Issaac Street, and from La Paix Street to Dauphine Street.
Roche Bois- is a “C” class station covering an area of about 1.76 Sq Kms with an estimated population of about 9,800 inhabitants extending from Pont Bruniquel to Allee Tamarin, and Latanier Bridge .
Vallee Pitot- is a “C” class station extending from Diego Garcia Street to Sebastopol Road. Vallee Pitot has a population of about 35,000 inhabitants in an area of about 1.5 Sq Kms.
Tombeau Bay- is a “C” class station it covers an area of 1.8 Sq Kms extending from Pont Bruniquel along Royal Road up to Tombeau Bay bus Terminal with an estimated population of 40,000 inhabitants.
Our mission is to keep the Public peace, maintain law and order and be committed to delivering policing services that meet the expectation of our community.
We are committed to ensuring that all people who come into contact with us are provided with an equally high standard of service, which addresses their specific and individual needs. We are dedicated to delivering policing services that meet the Government’s National priorities. We are also acutely aware of the importance of the views and priorities of the communities we serve. We recognise the need to continually improve police services in consultation with the community and other stakeholders, so we can be confident that we meet the needs of local people.
- Identify and tackle problems in partnership with local community.
- Show a visible police presence in our division
- Reduce the number of larceny in our division
- To keep criminality under control
- Reduce the cases of drugs abuse